Applying For A Tourist Visa For Japan

Even with the Schengen Visa and SK Visa under my belt, I still had the jitters when I applied for a tourist visa for Japan. The Japan Visa Application process requires the applicant to submit his/her application to an accredited embassy. This added to my anxiety because it means I won’t be able to “defend” myself during the visa application. This is another solo trip. *Gulp gulp*

If denied, the applicant can reapply after 6 months. That will be six (6) months of heartache for me, if ever (Oh have mercy on my heart).

Requirements for Japan Tourist Visa:
  • Philippine Passport
  • Accomplished Visa Application Form (I downloaded this from the website)
  • Photo (4.5cm x 4.5cm with white background). Photo stations offer a specific “Japan visa” picture. Got 4 pcs for Php 75.
  • Original Birth Certificate (Php 150 via SM)
  • Daily schedule in Japan
  • Bank certificate (Php 100 charge for BPI bank-account holders). I have no idea how much fund is required for approval and I will not disclose my bank balance. :)
  • Income tax return (BIR Form 2316 for a normal employee like me)
These are the ones applicable to me but they have some other requirements if you have a sponsor of if you are married. Just check their website.



They have a note after listing all the requirements:
Please note: It is applicant’s responsibility to ensure that he/she meet the requirements for the grant of a visa. Submission of any supporting documents not listed above is encouraged (e.g. applicant’s economic or social ties with the Philippines, urgent reasons for visit: medical certificate, wedding invitation).

The list is short compared to the requirements for Schengen visas. I decided to add more documents to prove my rootedness in the Philippines. I made my own cover letter enumerating everything that I submitted.


Some other documents I submitted.
  • Certificate of Employment
  • Copy of my Schengen and South Korea visa
  • Copy of other stamps from my previous passport
  • Copies of my Income tax return for the previous years
  • Bank statements 
  • Credit card statements

Getting an original birth certificate
The original birth certificate means a scanned copy of your birth certificate printed on special paper. The last time I got one was when I took the board exam. I had the time then to line up the NSO office in East Avenue and stand in that long queue with all the other people early in the morning. Now that I have a full time job, that’s just not happening, too time consuming. Fortunately, you can get your original birth certificate via SM Makati. It costs Php 150 and you pick it up after 3 working days.

Daily Schedule Japan: The Itinerary.
You have to submit your daily itinerary in Japan. You also have to indicate the place where you will stay, including their addresses and telephone numbers:

Excerpt from my itinerary:

DATE
ITINERARY
ACCOMMODATION
Day
Arrive Narita. Explore Shinjuku
Khaosan Tokyo Kabuki Guest Hostel
Morning:
06:00 Arrive Narita Airport
1-17-2 Asakusa Taitou-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Proceed to hostel in Asakusa.
kabuki@khaosan-tokyo.com

Rest/ Lunch
http://www.khaosan-tokyo.com/en/kabuki


(+)81-3-5830-3673
Afternoon:
Tokyo Metropolitan Government Office
 ¥ 3,200/night

Central Park


Shinjuku Gyoen National Garden


Kabukicho


I’ll share the details of my daily itinerary and budget in a separate post.

Travel Agency
I chose to submit my application in Friendship Tours. They charge relatively cheaper than other travel agencies – Php 1,200. Conveniently located near my office too – just 15 minutes of walking. Went during my break and passed my papers. I handed out all my documents and they proceeded checking them. I was given a claim stub. Standard processing time is one week, unless the embassy releases it immediately or requires additional documents.

Friendship Tours
Dusit Thani Manila, Ayala Center, Makati
Tel. Japanese (2) 840-1060 Tel. Filipino 893-8180/893-8183
E-mail English reservation@friendshipmanila.com

The Result
I submitted my requirements on a Wednesday, lunch time. On Friday afternoon, I got a text from Friendship Tours: My Japan visa was granted! I floated to Dusit Thani to claim my passport with visa. I noticed that my visa date was granted on Thursday. Friendship tours are quite speedy in submitting my docs to the embassy. And their staff are polite to answering all my questions. Highly recommended!

After years of dreaming, my teenage dream will finally come true!
Japan. Here I come!

Comments

  1. Nice! I hope to visit this place someday too! Good that I can use your blog as a guide. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi! h0w much d0 u earn? is there a minimum average 0n tax? is bank statement REALLY needed? or can i just give the bank cert?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Nong-gi! You can just provide the bank certificate. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Japan, here I come! your site is really useful!!!! Leo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you find my blog useful Leo! :) Naks, naka-score ka this recent sale ng Cebpac. Enjoy Japan!

      Delete
  5. Hi how long is the validity of the Tourist Visa?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello po. About sa banking, kailangan po ba na may big amount of savings ako para ma-approve yung visa? or Bank Certificate is enough. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UK Visa Application in the Philippines

Blaaaaah-ging

Schengen Visa Application via French Embassy in the Philippines