Hiking in Horton Plains and Missing Baker Falls

Not a fan of hiking here. But I give it a shot from time to time.

I had ambitious plans of hiking in the challenging trail of Adam's Peak. I ditched the plan when I had a chat with some backpackers who have been there. Too much effort to do it plus I had to figure out how to get there from Nuwara Eliya. Nope. So I chose an easier hike: Horton Plains.

My guesthouse offered to arrange a tuktuk to take me to Horton Plains for LKR 2,500. Cheaper that what I expected - which is usually LKR 3,000 to 3,500. I had my breakfast packed to go. We left at 5AM. It was around one hour going to Horton Plains via tuktuk - faster if you use a car.






Entrance fees were still absurdly high. I had to pay a  total of LKR 3,560 that covered my entrance fee, parking fee and whatever charges. The ticket reflected a breakdown of all those charges. They charge too much, IMO.



 We stopped for a toilet break before entering the premises.



Good morning Horton Plains. I woke early up for this. Pretty neat. 


Watching the sun light up the scene is a wonderful sight to behold. Corny, I know, but true. 


Horton Plains is a pretty popular spot for tourists. I thought I was early. So was everyone else.



The crowd dispersed soon enough. I found myself navigating the cool grasslands.


Took a photo of the map to help me navigate. 



The trail was pretty easy though it did not have a smooth path. There were some red muddy rock paths (what do you call them?) but my walking shoes conquered them.



Caution


I arrived at World's End after an hour or so, I guess. 
 
I asked some friendly Koreans to take this photo


I discarded the jacket as it got hotter

I didn't spend so much time lingering at World's End. For one, I think the view was beautiful but it doesn't really require a hanging out for a long time. And also, the tuktuk will wait for me for 3 or so hours or else I will have to pay him extra (which I didn't want to do). 


Looks like Telletubby Land. 


I was headed to Baker's Falls.


But I didn't find it. Maybe I was distracted and didn't look at signs. I didn't bump into a lot of people so I had no one to ask. No Baker's Falls for me. I didn't feel too disappointed because the scenery was already pretty.



The walk back seemed was pleasantly hot and cool. 


 The steep parts includes navigating through these trees.



Horton Plains was pretty but I think you can miss it if you don't have the time or you just don't feel like spending. Frankly, I didn't think it was worth that much LKR but I wanted to do something aside from walking around Nuwara Eliya. This was a good bet.

The local train

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

UK Visa Application in the Philippines

Blaaaaah-ging

Schengen Visa Application via French Embassy in the Philippines