Ecuador Visa Application in the Philippines

Way back in 2015, I recall that Philippine passport holders did not need a tourist visa for Ecuador. That changed sometime in 2021. I'd rather not apply for another visa after getting an AVE for Argentina and a visa for Chile. I briefly thought of dropping Ecuador from the itinerary - the Galapagos leg was costly and there's this visa application. But... it is now or never! I decided to book my flights and accommodations and just go push through with the visa application. 

The website of the embassy of Ecuador lists 'Embajada del Ecuador en Filipinas' located somewhere is Makati with some phone number. I called the phone number (January 2024). The building receptionist informed me that the embassy is not a tenant of the buiding anymore. They did give me a 'forwarding email' of the embassy (ecuadorindonesia-at-gmail-dot-com). I sent queries to both ecuadorindonesia-at-gmail-dot-com and eecuindonesia-dot-cancilleria-dot-gob-dot-ec (official email).

There was no embassy nor consulate at this addresses when I applied for a visa


Day 0 Q1 2024. I sent a query to eecuindonesia-at-cancilleria-dot-gob-dot-ec. I received a reply from the embassy that the application files will be sent via email. This is the list of documents:

1. Visa application form filed and signed (typed, not handwritten). They attached the application form in the email). 

2. Updated color photograph 5cm x 5cm (2x2 inches). JPG format, 1MB size, white background. Facial expression must be neutral with both eyes open 

3. Valid passport with a minimum validity period of 6 months. 

4. Criminal record certificate (original) from the country of origin or the country of residence during the last five years (translated, apostilled or legalized). I had to figure out what is an apostille document and how to get one. 

5. Health insurance for the time of stay in Ecuador (This was not a requirement for Argentina or Chile when I applied).

6. Travel itinerary

7. Round trip tickets

8. If you are invited by somebody or a company in Ecuador, you must produce an invitation letter, duly notarized by a notary public in Ecuador.

9. Notarized bank certificate (no need for a bank statement for the last 4 months). I had to figure out what this was. I can get a bank certificate but how would I get that notarized? I was not the signatory of the bank certificate. The notary suggested that they can photocopy the bank certificate then certify the photocopy as a certified true copy. This is the stamp:




Day 0 to Day 1. I gathered the documents. This took me around 3 weeks. I had a hit in NBI so I had to wait for for 2 weeks to get my NBI clearance. Then I had to wait for another week for the Apostille certificate for the NBI clearance (this is another adventure for me, another post perhaps). For the flights and accommodations, I already bought and booked these during the previous months. At the time of application, I planned to do a DIY land-based tour for Galapagos. 

Day 1. Sent documents via email. Make sure you scan the documents properly. I had to resend the Apostilled-NBI document because I didn't scan it property.

Day 2. Received instructions to send the original documents to the Ecuador Embassy in Indonesia. Original passport should not be included. I arranged a DHL pick-up for the next day. 

Day 3. Sent documents via DHL (pick-up from residence). Courier fee costs Php 1,143.37 from Quezon City to Jakarta, Indonesia for documents. 

Day 11. Received confirmation from Embassy that they received my documents and that my visa was approved. The embassy provided instructions for visa payment.

Day 16. Remitted USD 80 to bank account. I did this online via BPI outward remittance. Pretty neat and I didn't have to go to the branch to fill-out the form. Just make sure to fill-out all the necessary information. 

Day 18. Embassy emailed me that they only received $75 in their account (they attached a proof of payment. 

Day 22. I tried to remit the balance of $5 via Western Union. As you can imagine, the transfer fees were higher than the amount I was remitting. 

Day 25. I followed-up with the embassy. They said they did not receive my payment. I went back to Western Union. WU told me they do not wire payments to institutions. The staff on Day 22 in WU must not be familiar with this. They gave me a full refund, which is good. But I lost time during this process. 

Day 26-34. I lost more time. I was getting frustrated how to wire the remaining $5. I tried to figure out how to remit $5 to a dollar account in Indonesia. I tried to create a Wise account but I wasn't getting an OTP. So I had to email Wise to verify my account. I was able to create and validate my account eventually but it took time. 

Day 35. I remitted via Wise account. As expected, the processing fee costs more than the $5 that I owe. 

Day 39. Sent a follow-up email. I did not receive an acknowledgement from the embassy that my payment was received. 

Day 44. Sent a follow-up email.

Day 57. Sent a follow-up email. More nervous now. By this time, I found pretty decent deals for a Galapagos Cruise that included flights. I took a risk and booked the cruise instead. I cancelled my accommodations and refunded by flights (Avianca refunded me after one week via credit card).

Day 61. Received information that my visa will be processed. Phew. 

Day 64. Follow-up. Getting nervous now.

Day 66. Starts of Americas 2024 trip. Flight from Manila. 

Day 76. I received my e-visa. I received this 5 weeks before my entry date in Ecuador. I had it
printed in the accommodation. 

I identified these pain points (pain points yarnnn!?):

1) Getting an apostille certificate for the NBI clearance. This is the first time that I have to submit this requirement in a visa application or for any application whatsoever. 

2) Unclear procedure for the visa application process. The waiting was unbearable at times because I don't know how long the normal timeline is. 

3) The embassy received $75 instead of $80, even though I indicated that I will be shouldering all the fees. The bank/s or clearinghouse or whatever institution charged an additional $5. I wish I knew this at the start and just increased my first remittance by $5. If I had a Wise account early on, I would've skipped this headache. 

Ah well. A tough visa process for Galapagos. Though I would say it was worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UK Visa Application in the Philippines

Blaaaaah-ging

Schengen Visa Application via French Embassy in the Philippines